Friday 15 February 2013

Top 5 Romantic Movies

I am besotted with romance in films, not only because I am a seasoned spinster fifty years before my time, but because ROMANCE IS SO LOVELY. Cheddar brimming as they are, romance films must feature two really flossy (floss = high level sass and sophistication) leads, a healthy amount of PASSION and occasionally a few tragic events. The classic happy ending makes my life, but is not necessary for the majority of anguish filled films this list applauds. I am by no means repelled by mountains of froth, but I do thrive for the clichéd classics we all know n cherish and for them alone.


5. Pretty Woman (1990)
Julia Roberts & Richard Gere
You've undoubtedly been trapped in Edward's grossly expensive hotel suite for the past twenty three years if you haven't yet seen Pretty Woman.
It's a classic for umpteen reasons, but mine is definitely the FABULOUS Julia Roberts as Vivian, an L.A. prostitute who in true romcom form, just happens to be picked up by a millionaire.
Although I personally have never been all that into Richard Gere, you can't help but like him for whisking Vivian into an entirely unrealistic world of strutting down streets to Roy Orbison, designer suits and meals with bigwigs. That in consideration, I would still rather he refrained from trying to uproot my tonsils on a grand piano.
Vivian actually likes him though and obviously he's keen on her, so he gains 8/10 for floss as far as I'm concerned. And for tackling that terrifying fire escape.
Best Scene: Vivian's iconic waltz and the outwitting of the bitchy shop assistants.



4. Ghost (1990)
Patrick Swayze & Demi Moore
Another iconic TREASURE. Molly and Sam are hideously happy together until bastard Willy Lopez (Rick Aviles) murders Sam on the botched orders of Sam's best friend. A horrifying betrayal, in all other words. Oda-Mae Brown (Whoopi Goldberg) is the fortune teller Sam stumbles across as he attempts to contact Molly. Molly is in danger. Oda-Mae puts it differently ("Molly, you in danger girl.") but I'm not even going to try and attempt to explain how magnificent she is. She is the gem of the film. All I suggest is you watch the clip of her ultimate floss (definitely 10/10) below:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAb2_-uv41Y
The ending of Ghost is absolutely traumatising. Sam ascending to Heaven with all the angels as Molly sobs with sad joy because it is THE LAST TIME SHE WILL EVER SEE HIM BECAUSE HE'S DEAD. Ugh. Agony.
Best Scene: Pottery. The Righteous Brothers. Unchained Melody. No more words necessary.



3. P.S. I Love You (2007)
Gerard Butler & Hilary Swank

First things first: the soundtrack. Best thing ever to frolic to.
Aside from that, there's Holly and Gerry, another New York couple MADLY IN LOVE. Until it comes to light that Gerry has died from a brain tumour right after the opening credits. The film is essentially Holly learning to 'live again' through Gerry's monthly letters, sent to help her move on.
I find this film absolutely tragic (which probably is tragic in itself) because it is just so SAD, imagine being on the brink of thirty and your soul mate going and DYING on you??!??!?!!?
Traumatic. Absolutely. I can't express my adoration for it enough, not only because it makes me want to flee to Ireland and swan around to Steve Earle, but because Holly's misery is so RAW and alongside that she has to deal with her husband's death whilst everyone else is moving on and doing new things..
It hurts my soul. It fatally wounds it. Unfortunately a lot of very misguided people think this film is awful (looking at you, Rotten Tomatoes) but I take it they are just not Gerard Butler fans.
Best scene: Holly & Gerry meeting again in a pub to Galway Girl. Weeping at the thought.


2. Dirty Dancing (1987)
Patrick Swayze & Jennifer Grey
Another Swayze extravaganza. Also another film I shouldn't have to elaborate on, because every person alive ever should watch this and marvel at:
a) Patrick Swayze.
b) THE DANCING (I can't dance, which is probably why I am so impressed by it in this masterpiece)
c) The soundtrack. Who doesn't yearn to roar down the highway to Eric Carmen yowling that his eyes are hungry???
d) Patrick Swayze.
e) THE LIFT. And also how at the end, Baby's mum says sternly, "Sit down, Jake" so Jake can't go and murder Baby's fun.
f) NOBODY PUTS BABY IN A CORNER.
Best scene: Baby and Johnny having the times of their lives, of COURSE.


1. Titanic (1997)
Kate Winslet & Leonardo Di Caprio
WHAT A FILM. Too many times my best friend and I have reenacted the ever memorable death scene. Jack? Jack? Wake up, Jack. Jack, wake up. JACK, WAKE UP. Why doesn't he? It has been said time and time again that he could have fit most comfortably on that bloody door, but did he? N O. There really is no need to summarise Titanic, as it is so beautiful and traumatic that not only did I cry the first forty thousand times I watched it, I sobbed dramatically in the cinema last April, and proceeded to live in a bubble of Celine Dion for the following (six) month(s).
It's also obvious that Leo's face is one carved by angels, and that one day many years into our marriage, an alternate version will be released, with myself playing Rose and Leo playing Jack once more. A Jack who lived.
Best scene: "I'm flying! Jack!"


Mollie Kerslake

No comments:

Post a Comment