Wednesday 13 February 2013

Top 10 Best Movie Dates

So it's Valentine's Day tomorrow, a celebration where cynics like myself either have to keep their mouths shut while people gush over their presents and plans, or rehearse an angry monologue to spout every time someone dares wish them a "Happy Valentine's Day!" Personally, I've chosen the first option this year, and instead, due to my love of list-making, compiled a list of the best, romantic, and cutest movie dates of all time. They'll make you laugh, make you cry, or make you moan to your boyfriend that Pizza Hut simply isn't good enough this year.

(May contain plot spoilers)

10. Midnight in Paris



Sure, Woody Allen only shows us the very beginning of Gil and Gabrielle's date, but what could be a better start to a date than walking through Paris in the rain? Nothing, that's what.

9. Gregory's Girl

Poor old Gregory - all he wanted was to go on a date with the only girl in the school's football team, but instead he ends up marched around town, being passed from girl to girl, and forced to buy them chips. However, it all turns out to be part of a master plan laid out by Susan, who's always had a crush on Gregory. He may not have ended up with the girl he thought, but at least they had a good time.

8.  It's a Wonderful Life



Singing, dancing, talk of the moon - what more could one want for a first day? Stewart and Reed's chemistry in this scene is ridiculous, which keeps it romantic rather than soppy.

7. 10 Things I Hate About You


I think I can sum this one up in one sentence. Paintball with Heath Ledger. Yep, I knew I could.

6. Lady and the Tramp


Possibly the most classic movie date of them all! I really dread to think how many people will be doing this with their partners tomorrow. Nevertheless, it stands the test of time, as this scene is still kinda adorable.

5. Goodfellas

Guilty confession time - despite having a copy on video, and having it recorded on my telly, I STILL haven't got around to watching Goodfellas. But despite that, I'm well aware of this scene (My Mum has described it to me so many times that it must be ingrained into my memory.) and how cool it is. I really hope people still try and impress their dates by sneaking them through restaurants, because realistically, that would probably work on me. Also, Heineken did a really cool advert homaging this scene.

4. (500) Days of Summer


Back before I knew about stock characters like the Nice Guy and Manic Pixie Dream Girl, 500 Days of Summer used to be my favourite film. To my defense, I was going through a serious "just joined Tumblr and learnt who The Smiths are and started watching indie movies" phase, (haven't we all been through them?) but I swear to god, I could quote whole chunks of this film. While that may not be my proudest moment, I do still have a fondness for this scene in particular, purely because, well, it's absolutely adorable. And it's not every day that there's a Chinese family in your bathroom.

3. Before Sunrise



This film is basically just one long date, which makes it kinda hard to choose just one scene from it. Scary 90's Ethan Hawke persuades cool 90's Julie Delphy to abandon her plans and spend the night with him in Vienna, which she does (?!) and they basically just spend the whole night wandering around and talking. That. Is. Literally. It. Despite the ridiculous plot, it does kinda work, mainly because you actually give a damn about the characters, and really want them to end up together. Also, apparently people really like this film because it has spawned two sequels - Before Sunrise and the soon-to-be-released Before Midnight.

2. Pulp Fiction



I'm still in two minds about whether this counts as a "date" seeing as nothing romantic actually happens between Vincent and Mia, but this is one of my favourite scenes from one of my favourite films by one of my favourite directors so let's just let it slide shall we? Again, this scene is a case of good screen chemistry, - Daniel Day-Lewis was allegedly going to play Vincent which I CANNOT imagine - oh and let's not forget the infamous dance scene. If this diner exists, I am saving all my pennies and going.


1. Blue Valentine



Ah, the bitter irony that the top clip on my list isn't even on youtube. Oh well, I think anyone who's seen Blue Valentine will know that it's simultaneously one of the most bitter and romantic films about love ever made. The latter can definitely be applied to Dean and Cindy's first date. (I studied this section of the film in Film Studies last year so forgive me if I get analytical...) They chat on a bus, get ice cream, talk about themselves... they find the date going so well that, in order to impress each other, they start acting more and more shy and childish. Cindy shows Dean her "talent" - being able to sing the names of all of the Presidents - and Dean retaliates by playing ukulele. Just like the rest of the film it feels fresh and uncliched but also adorable, one of those filmic moments that you'll keep coming back to if you need a pick-me-up.

Grace Barber-Plentie



No comments:

Post a Comment