Monday 6 May 2013

Coming Soon: Our Picks Of This Month's Best Cinema






Ah, May, the month of where summer blockbusters gradually appear and small indie films go into hibernation in order to get ready for the autumn awards season push. But do not worry, there are at least a handful of films for you to choose from!

Iron Man 3 – OUT NOW 


Despite Iron Man 2 being quite a let-down, I have high hopes for this one – and not just because my girl Gwyneth Paltrow finally gets to wear the suit! You really can’t go wrong with Robert Downey Jr as Tony Stark, he brings so much to the role that I can’t imagine anyone ever filling his shoes. I’m not too sure of the plot but it’s something along the lines of super-villain, played by Ben Kingsley, tries to destroy Tony’s world whilst Tony experiences an existential crisis about who he really is.

Star Trek into Darkness – 9th May


I wasn’t a massive fan of the first Star Trek. Don’t get me wrong, JJ Abrams ran a tight ship and it was a solid film but it just wasn’t my cup of tea. This time round however, Benedict Cumberbatch as the villain has intrigued me. No matter what you think of the man (he looks like a posh thumb), you can’t deny that he has a sinister look that makes him kind of perfect for evil characters. As with all JJ Abrams films, there’s barely any plot details introduced so let’s just assume that the Enterprise are being tormented by Benny Cumby’s character. If none of this interests you, then perhaps the inclusion of the little Russian cutie Anton Yelchin reprising his role will.


The Great Gatsby – 16th May


I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS FILM FOREVER. Baz Luhrman’s vision of one of the greatest American novels on the 20th Century starring Leo DiCaprio and Carey Mulligan soundtracked by Jay Z is basically a surreal dream come true. If you’re unfamiliar with the story, it’s a tale of love, glamour, money and the American Dream set in the Jazz Age. Despite the film being pushed back six months (never really a good sign), I still hold out hope that this will be brilliant or at the very least, it will look brilliant.

Mud – 10th May


Matthew McConaughey stars as a fugitive helped by two young boys to find his lost love. Written and directed by Jeff Nichols – who previously directed the compelling Take Shelter - the film has been earning great reviews since last year on the festival circuit and it’s meant to be one of McConaughey’s best roles yet. The cinematography looks beautiful and I even though it’s advertised as a thriller it looks kind of sweet to me. Worth a look.


I’m So Excited – OUT NOW


This film looks so outrageously, fabulously camp that I’m seriously dying to see it. If the trailer above isn’t enough, check out the review below!

Beth Johnston

No comments:

Post a Comment